Attending conferences and events to expand your networking circle can make some get queasy to the stomach.
Meeting new people outside of your immediate network may be overwhelming, yet the rewards are endless.
Attending blogger industry events has helped me deepen online relationships, creates new ones, and help me learn a ton along the way.
Are you curious about blogging, social media influencers, or online marketing? Is there another industry you've been curious about?
Online networking is GREAT, but in person connection will never go out of style.
When attending any type of networking event, its important to have a plan. Your time is valuable. Also, attending an event is an investment. Fees for registration and any travel arrangements if the venue is outside of your hometown can add up quick. You want to get the most bang for your time and monetary buck, right?
No doubt you want to make industry conference attendance worth your while. To accomplish this I've found having intended outcomes and goals help make sure this happens.
Take inventory, is there anyone you have been following online and want to connect with at the conference? Maybe a specific speaker you admire will be present, if so jot this down. In addition other goals could be:
– Plan to meet a certain amount of people (choose a number you are comfy with)
– Hand out 20 business cards. Collect for follow-up 20 business cards (more or less, is OK)
– Review the event agenda, have in mind a new skill, tool or industry trend to learn
REMEMBER: don't leave until you complete the goal(s).
Other reasons to attend:
– Meet industry thought leaders and other like minded professionals in your niche or a complimentary one.
– Best practices and updates for your industry
– Recharge your creative juices and get inspired. Starting a blog and improving it will sharpen your goals and online swagger, business and influence.
– Connections. Being in the same room with companies, successful bloggers, publishers, even literary agents.
– You want cool swag and to have a good time.
Are a you a blogger or aspiring blogger who has attended an industry conference? If so why did you attend? Why was it worth the expense?
If you are a company or vendor looking for someone to represent you at an event, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I'd love to chat!
Now go out there and conquer!